Welcome to your new job. Being in charge of NZ Cricket is not an easy task, but you used to be CEO of the Hurricanes so you should be used to challenges so that’s all good.
As you may be aware we were a bit bemused by some of the behaviour of your predecessor, so we welcome the fresh face. However, we do have some questions.
1. What is your view on that lawn bowling expert from Australia coming over to be the National Selection Manager?
2. While we’re on the subject of Littlejohn, what are your thoughts on his theory that selectors don’t actually need to be at the matches; selection can actually be made by crunching the numbers?
3. Do you envisage hiring Francis Payne to assist with this new approach?
4. This season there are 90 days, at the peak of summer, without domestic first class cricket. Do you plan to rectify this for next season?
5. On that; what will you do to work towards getting ball by ball commentary of first class cricket on New Zealand radio?
6. There has not been test cricket in New Zealand’s two largest metropolitan areas for more than five years now. What do you intend to put in place to resolve this?
7. Promise not to leak things to the media?
8. How do you intend to juggle negotiations between the Players’ Association and the IPL when it comes to ensuring New Zealand players are available for all tours?
The last question in particular might be a bit tricky to answer, but so is opening the batting at 9:30 a.m. against Waqar and Wasim. Please give us some reassurance; it’s much needed right now.