By The Spotter
The Swinehound Shield holder is Mid Canterbury, in the form of Andrew Mitchell. This edition is slightly longer for the Easter weekend. It’s tough, I reckon. The older punters out there may be alright. No online cheating of course, but have my permission to ask an older relative or sports friend about a single question if you get desperate; a kind of phone a friend lifeline.
As per usual, post your answers in the Comment box below the questions. They will be saved up and posted at the conclusion. It will be open for around 2-3 days. A reminder tweet will be posted when the deadline nears.
Any questions, feedback etc can be directed to my own twitter: @pm_spotter
- Which NZ woman, also a ‘Valerie’, was the holder of an astonishing 37 national senior athletics titles; more than double the number held by Dame Valerie Adams?
- Which combination of Waikato-Otago or Wellington-Manawatu has won more NPC Division One rugby titles since the men’s comp began in 1976?
- A South African named ‘Trev’ won the Masters Golf tournament in 2008 at Augusta. What was his surname? It starts with an‘I’.
- Which sport was formerly played here (and usually drew good crowds) under the banner of ‘The Rothmans League’?
- *Came across this one, had no clue whatsoever about it: What milestone did a player named Blair Stewart achieve in the 2008 Air NZ Cup/ NPC rugby competition? And what province did he represent?
A hint: It’s to do with points scoring.
- Way, way before the doomed Central Vikings, was there ever a provincial rugby team called ‘Manawhenua’? If yes, did it ever hold the Ranfurly Shield?
- One for any cricket old-timers: Which English bowler of the late 60s and 70s was Geoff Boycott referring to when he said: “He has the ruthlessness of a rat-catcher.”
- Who captained the White Ferns when they magnificently won the Cricket World Cup in 2000?
- Name the year: The late Jonah Lomu, David Beckham and Tiger Woods were all born.
- When the All Blacks put on one of their best-ever performances and won 43-6 vs Australia in the mud and wet on Athletic Park in 1996, which two members of the forward pack were the only two not from the Auckland team?
- NZ pop culture Q: Who was Wal Footrot’s girlfriend in Footrot Flats?