Rugby Clubs across New Zealand are facing massive challenges to survive and prosper with the evolution of the Sports “Hub” seen as as a key way forward for Club Rugby (and all Grassroots Sport).
Perfectly located on Kilbirnie Park and complementing the neighbouring Wellington Regional Aquatic Centre, Kilbirnie Rec Centre, Ruth Gotlieb Library and nearby ASB Indoor Sports Centre, the services and facilities offered to multiple sports clubs, community groups and businesses, will be like no other in the Region.
With Stage One works completed in 2015 and delivering significant community benefits, the Hub is already walking the talk!
Initial feedback and vastly improved venue usage are incredibly encouraging.
Achievable Stage Two capital works are planned for 2016 and early 2017. By early – mid 2017 the Toitu Poneke Community & Sports Hub will be fully operational, with:
• dedicated staff
• a range of facilities for sport, meetings, celebrations and training
• community & school programmes
• pre/after school care
• administration services
Multiple cultures, genders, the young, the aged, from throughout our entire Region, Toitu Poneke will provide a modern, fit for purpose and unique environment, promoting health and socialisation. The focus will be on people, programmes, partnerships and performance.
• Key sporting / community precinct
• High profile location
• Surrounded by growing communities
• Range of cultures, genders and ages in region
• Significant regional Park, already housing public use spaces, Rugby fields x 3, Football field x 1, Cricket pitches x 5, softball, athletics, bowls, play-ground, Regional Aquatic Centre, Community Library, Recreation Centre and Plunket
• Multiple schools, ASB Indoor Sports Centre and Kilbirnie Shopping / Business District within easy walk
• Key transport links in place (and likely to be improved)
• Existing building has great bones / spaces
• Proactive and supportive City Council / landowner
How can friends of Sportsfreak help?
The Wellington City Council is proposing to give the Toitu Poneke Sports Hub a $750,000 grant for the redevelopment of the building on Kilbirnie Park. It’s all part of the next stage of building a community and sports hub facility that will ensure a sustainable future for the many clubs and organisations who it will become home to.
However, we need your help. To ensure we secure the funding, we need you to send an e-mail to the Council indicating your support for the funding. It should take less than a minute and we’ve prepared 4 easy steps below to make it easy for you to do.
The deadline for submissions is 5pm on Friday 29th April so get in quick.
Please note that all submissions (including name and contact details) are published and made publicly available. Personal information will be used for the administration of the consultation process and decision-making by the council.
Instructions to email submitters:
1. E-mail address to send message to BUSAnnualPlan@wcc.govt.nz
2. Please ‘BCC’ (that’s Blind Copy) firstname.lastname@example.org (so submissions can be tracked).
3. Text for the subject line: Submission: 2016/17 Annual Plan – Support for $750,000 grant to Toitu Poneke Community & Sports Hub
4. Text for the e-mail message: Dear Councillors, I/We support the funding of $750,000 from Wellington City Council in 2016/17 for the Toitu Poneke Community & Sports Hub.
More information is available at: