By The Spotter
The 7th Swinehound via sportsfreak.co.nz is centred on Rugby Union and ‘The Mighty Quinn’; NZ’s commentating royalty, Keith Quinn. It is his lines of commentary that have settled permanently into the sports section of my own decaying Hippocampus- not to be confused with ‘Rhino’ or ‘Buffalo’ campus, that is.
Don’t expect to find ‘Aw, oh, oh…Lo— (you know the rest). And no Googling nor YouTubing to find an answer- that’s a big no-no.
There’s 12 questions instead of the usual 8 this time round. There are four added on Rugby in general. Defending champion is two-time holder, Andrew Mitchell from Mid Canterbury. But as yet, no-one has managed a successful defence of the ‘hound. Post answers in the Comments section below the quiz. Or it’s possible to tweet to sportsfreak Twitter.
For the answer, I want the year and what match it was. The first Q is a sitter for any Rugby-ite over 40.
THE SWINEHOUND SPORTS QUIZ #7
- “Lagisquet and Kirwan…Oh, the seven black shirt’s there…Jones…Try for Michael Jones.”
- “…to Cunningham, to Twigden…desperate stuff, big Haden there…Watts…”
- ”McGeechan tries a drop kick, charged down by Bruce…All Blacks up to halfway, Osborne kicks ahead…22 metres line…has Robertson got the speed?…”
- “And straight away, straight to Peter Grigg, this could be a try to Gould. What a start! What a try!”
- “Oh, Codornious; MAGNIFIQUE…another try.”
- “In to Hobbs, who’s had an excellent game…Away to Wayne Smith…a strong run by Wayne Smith…and a brilliant try for Wayne Smith!”
- “Intercept by Stone. Has he got the legs?…Arthur Stone…He’s just having a go…now that is a great try for 19 year-old Arthur Stone.”
General rugby stuff (four extra Qs):
- Which Australian was refereeing when Tana Umaga remonstrated ‘We’re not playing Tiddlywinks out here’, in 2003?
- Which no 8 for Waikato scored five tries vs Southland in 2000?
- Which young player kicked the goals for Southland when they took the Ranfurly Shield off Canterbury in 2009?
- When Australia finally prised the Bledisloe Cup back from NZ’s grasp in 1979, for how many years had it been resident here?
*Note that if any participant manages three consecutive defences of the Swinehound, I will gift them a mint-ish copy of the book, ‘Lions ‘83- the NZ tour’, written by David Frost (not the Frost who interviewed Richard Nixon; another one- The ex rugby writer for The Guardian).
-Paul Montague (firstname.lastname@example.org)